Thursday, March 22, 2012

First Day With Two Boys in the New School Room

Yesterday we had an unexpected school day.  I wanted to have the room all set up before the boys went in, but they were ready before I was.  We were going to go outside, and of course we have to go through the school room to get to the play area.  I was also wearing the baby on my chest in order to make it more fun to give presentations and keep Bumblebee out of trouble :)

I don't have pictures yet but I wanted to record what the boys did before I forgot.

Bumblebee chose the Peg Board first.  While he was doing that, Link did all the other activities on Bumblebee's shelves.  It worked nicely because Bumblebee watched the entire time and I didn't have to give any presentations.  Of course all of those works were too easy for Link, but he had to do them all.  

Next, Bumblebee chose the pom pom transfer with tongs.  He did this over and over for the rest of the time we were in the school room.  He took a break at one point to do some Geometric Cabinet work, but then went back to it.

The other works that Link did, but not Bumblebee, were cloths pins on a bucket, shape boxes with lids, and the geometric sorting board puzzle.

Link chose the cabinet first.  After tracing one or two, he said "I know where they all go, so I don't need to trace them."  I'm not sure how to handle that :)  I did let Bumblebee do this one.  He just does them like puzzles.  I'm not sure if I'm going to let him continue that, or make him wait until he will do the tracing.  He likes puzzles right now.  Link did two or three drawers.  He looks for the harder ones :)  

I had a hard time keeping him from "helping" Bumblebee too much.  I didn't want to be negative, but I want them to learn to respect each others space.  Link decided to do the pink tower, but after getting it on the rug, he didn't want to finish it.  I had to keep Bumblebee out of it, while also encouraging Link to either finish or put it back.  He decided to put it back, but intentionally did it wrong.  In the end I said something along the lines of  "I can see you are having a hard time remembering how to do this work, I can give you another presentation" or something like that.  I did let Bumblebee help put it back, just because this seemed to encourage Link to help.  

After that Link just hung out while Bumblebee transferred pom poms.  I was really ready to go make dinner, but didn't want to stop him.  Then Daddy came home and joined us.  After doing it a few times for Daddy, Bumblebee finally took it back to the shelves and we left.

Not bad.  We're going to the Hands-On Museum today, so maybe we'll make it back to school tomorrow.

Link - one month to 4 years
Bumblebee - two months to 2 years

No comments:

Post a Comment